Monday 6 February 2012

RECIPES


I just received today the Heart Foundation newsletter and they included in it a recipe for "Bircher Muesli" to start the day. Theirs is not the original recipe which has been around for ages and is one of the natural health foods to promote wellness. Now the Heart Foundation has given it the tick for heart health. So here it is, but I am modifying it and will give you my reasons:-

1 apple peeled, cored and grated  -I would leave the skin on as I use organic/unwaxed apples and the skin contains nutrients
2 mangoes - medium glycaemic index of 55, not if you want to lose weight
1 banana- high GI
2 passionfruits- if available or use berries/pomegranate (good for the heart).
2 cups rolled whole oats
1 pear peeled and grated-I would leave skin on for nutrients
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon-excellent for blood sugar levels and as a  digestive aid (I would use 1tbspn)
250mls pear juice-or apple/pomegranate with no added sugar
150g reduced fat vanilla yoghurt-I prefer full fat natural with no added sugar for taste
50g toasted flaked almonds
250mls reduced fat milk- or full cream unhomogenised or other  such as rice or organic soya milk if you have dairy allergies.

Put apple, pear,oats, cinnamon and pear juice in a bowl and soak for one hour.I would presoak oats overnight in juice or water and then add grated fruit/cinnamon in morning and seep for 30 to 60 minutes.Oats contain minerals but also phytates which bind these up, so longer soaking is better for absorption when eaten. Top with fresh fruit, yoghurt,almonds and pour over milk into individual bowls and enjoy.Serves 4.






No comments:

Post a Comment